Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sacrifice

What is a sacrifice?

One dictionary defines a “sacrifice” in the following way: (noun) the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.  Also,(verb) to surrender or give up, or permit injury or disadvantage to, for the sake of something else.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word sacrifice?

The Father has done a tremendous work in my heart and life over the past week to show me what a sacrifice is, what a sacrifice is not, and how I have life and joy and hope and a radically transformed life as the result of the ultimate sacrifice that was given in my place.  It is because of one single sacrifice that I am compelled to share the most important Truth with those who have never heard.  I am so thankful to the Father for teaching me about sacrifice, for showing me pain and for taking the pain upon Himself that should have been mine.

Why am I writing this?  What stirred my heart to write about a sacrifice?

A week ago today, with my own two eyes I stood in a yard where just feet in front of me a lamb was sacrificed in accordance with the Muslim holiday that took place last week, Kurban Bayram (the “sacrifice holiday”).  Here is a brief history and background of the holiday:
According to Muslims, the tradition is based on an event where Abraham was ordered to sacrifice one of his two sons.  According to the Muslims, this son was Ishmael, while according to the Old Testament, it was Isaac.  As Abraham was about to sacrifice his own son in obedience to God, God provided a ram to offer in substitution.  The offering of the sacrifice has become an annual celebration to commemorate the occasion and thank God for his favor.
This annual sacrifice is a work that Muslims perform in hopes to add more favor and cross the 51% “good” mark.  They can sacrifice a variety of different animals (ranging from birds to camels) but it must be a male who is at least a year old and healthy.  Last week, while spending a week in a more conservative part of the country, one of my roomates and I had the opportunity to watch a sacrifice of a sheep by a devout local family.

I expected the process to be ritualistic and formal, but I was surprised to find that it was a duty they seemed rather to perform and be done with.  It wasn’t emotional.  Children were milling around and relatively unaffected by what was taking place in their front yard…this was not the first time for them to see a sacrifice.

I could barely watch and had to turn my head at many points.  Not because I passionately love animals and can’t stand to see them die. Not because I get queasy at the sight of blood.  But because watching that poor, innocent lamb be tied up and led to its death struck me to the core.  I began to see so many parallels to what I know from the Word about the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 53:7 says “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth.” 

Similarly, this innocent lamb was silent.  He was nervous and anxious, but as he was laid down and breathed its last breath before his throat was slit, I couldn’t help but thinking of all those who saw Jesus laid down on the cross and pierced…I cannot imagine the pain of watching my Savior crucified, knowing that with every nail that was hammered into His innocent hands, He was taking on my sins…the weight of the entire world was on Him.



It was quick and easy and I will spare you the gorey pictures of the blood that began gushing out as soon as the throat was slit.  It was interesting that my roomate and I both thought of the song “Jesus Paid it All” as we were standing there watching every ounce of blood pour forth from this innocent animal:
I hear the Savior say thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness watch and pray, find in Me thine all in all.
Jesus Paid it All
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.
Lord now indeed I find Thine power and Thine alone
Can change the lepers spots and melt the heart of stone

And when before the throne I stand in Him complete
Jesus died my soul to save, My lips shall still repeat

Oh praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead!!!
I will never be able to sing that song again without having the mental image that I have now of innocent blood being spilled out. I am thankful for that image.  It has caused me to fall deeper in love with my Savior and to have a tiny hint of understanding of what Christ went through…for me. It makes me worship Him more and stand in awe of Him.  And so many things I learned and have a much more vivid understanding of my salvation now…

It is only by the blood of Christ that I have been redeemed.  It is His blood that was shed for me that has washed and cleansed me so that I can stand before Him, blameless.

My debt has been paid! Hallelujah! There is nothing that I could give that would ever compare to the price that Christ paid on the cross for me.  The debt of my sin was paid and settled once and for all on the cross.  Praise the Lord that the Father has provided a way for us to be justified and to bear the title of “righteous” for without Him we are nothing.  What happened on the cross over 2,000 years ago was the greatest act of LOVE that could be demonstrated.  It can never be recreated - there is no need for it to be recreated because it was perfect and it satisfied the debt of my sin for all eternity!  I do not even know how to express my thanks, let alone comprehend, how the the Father was pleased to send His only Son in my place!  Is “thank you” even adequate enough?
Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.  Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. (Isaiah 53:10-11)
I can stand before the Lord justified because of the work of the cross!  He has declared me righteous, not based on anything I have done (because there is absolutely nothing in me that could ever do anything good apart from God) but because through His grace, His blood has washed me clean and I am free to walk in Him.  I am weak on my own.  I am strong in Him!
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood thorugh faith.  This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forebearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed. (Romans 3:23-25)
Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:1-2)
My prayer is that through reading this you, too may be caused to fall deeper in love with our Savior…His blood covers you too!  Worship Him because of what He did on the cross!  That alone is reason enough to worship Him for the rest of eternity!!

As you seek to worship the Father, I would like to encourage you to listen to the following songs that can help to aid you in worship through song:
  • Jesus, Thank You (Sovereign Grace Music)
  • Jesus Paid it All (Kristian Stanfill)
  • Before the Throne of God Above (Shane & Shane)
  • The Power of the Cross (Keith & Kristyn Getty)
  • In Christ Alone (Keith & Kristyn Getty)
  • Via Dolorosa (Leeland)
  • I Will Glory in My Redeemer
  • Not Guilty Anymore (Aaron Keyes)
  • Not What my Hands (Aaron Keyes)
Also, read Romans…study justification…be blown away at what the Father did for you when you were least deserving of anything, and least of all, eternal life!  Read Isaiah (especially chapter 53).  And when you have read and been drawn to worship the Father as a result, share what you have learned with someone who has not heard of the mystery of the cross!  Remember that you once were an enemy of God, but He has now brought you into an eternal relationship with the Creator of the World…He has called you to sit and worship at His feet and to become more like Him!

I am thankful I saw the sacrifice last week…not because it was easy or the best thing I have seen while I have been here…but I needed to see it.  I needed to be reminded of the sacrifice that took my place and paid my debt!

Jesus, thank you for Your blood poured out for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips