Saturday, September 11, 2010

Update

Dear Friends!

Tomorrow (Sunday) I will have been here for one month!  I cannot believe it!  I have learned so much in that short time...transportation, some language, and many, many valuable lessons from the Father!

Thank you so much for lifting up Sarah and I as we have been stumbling our way around this big city!  I cannot tell you what a blessing that has been!  I know that it may have seemed like an insignificant request, but to a girl who had never taken public transportation before arriving here, it was a big deal!  We know how to get so many places (and even have our favorite places in the city) now and that encourages us to have confidence to step out and learn even more!  We are also able to stumble our way through ordering at a restaurant in Turkish which is a huge encouragement!

This past week, Sarah and I spent in another city several hours away providing child care for a team while they met together in the mornings and evenings.  While we had to learn to be creative with having only a playground and coloring books, we had a great time playing with the eleven children we were responsible for.  During the afternoons we had some free time and got the explore the area near where we were staying.  We got to eat at a beach-front restaurant, climbed around an ancient Byzantine castle, visited Ephesus and some other historical landmarks.  While it was fun to see some history and parts of this beautiful country, it was even more of a blessing to provide the workers we were with an opportunity to have a break from their kids so that they could seek the Father in direction for strategies for the work that is being done here.  While it was great to be away, we are very glad to be back in our city where things look familiar once again - yes, there are parts of living in a city of millions of people that does begin to look familiar.

My highlight of the week, and probably my time here so far, was by far Friday when my roommate and visited Ephesus.  Yes, Ephesus was great (even the second time around was still incredible), but the best part was when we were in one of the shops at the end.  We were shopping for souvenirs and gifts when we met one of the store owners.  He had some plaques in his shop that he had made himself and we took the opportunity to begin asking questions about the Christian symbols he had placed on them.  We just started asking curious questions to see if he knew what they meant and my roommate and I were able to have a lengthy conversation with our new friend sharing a small part of the hope that we have.  It was our first time to verbally share a small part of that with anyone here!  We have been asking the Father to provide opportunities for us to find ways to engage in conversation and He has faithfully shown us so many ways this week and even provided an opportunity for us to share openly about the Truth.  We are asking that the Father would continue to water the seeds that are planted because He is the One who causes the growth! 

Would you join with us in asking for the Father to place strategic relationships in our lives?

There are so many stories that I could share with you and trust that I will have an opportunity to one day when I come home.

Here are some requests to lift up:
  • Sarah and I have one friend that we met in our first week here.  We have been in contact with her but unable to get together yet.  The way that the Father allowed for us to meet her was a divine appointment and unlike any other and we would love to continue that relationship if that is what the Father wills.  Please ask that we would find joy in waiting and that the Father would prepare us for how to build a friendship with her.
  • That the Father would continue to open our eyes to see opportunities to share Truth and that He would give us the words and boldness to make known the mystery of the Good News!
  • That the Father would provide many more opportunities like He did with our new friend at Ephesus.
  • That I would continue to cling to the Father and savor the sweet time that I get to spend in His Word and in fellowship with Him!  It is a daily fight to see and savor Him as my highest Treasure, but it is so worth it!  I am so thankful for the lazy mornings I get to have sitting and reading the Word!
I am thankful for each one of you!!  I could not be here without you!  Have a blessed day!  I would love to hear from you and hear what the Father is teaching you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips